“Without the Holy Spirit there is no life, no motion, no being, The Spirit is the power supply for all these things. . . The Holy Spirit is the power of life itself.” (R.C. Sproul, The Mystery of the Holy Spirit, 74, 75)
Sproul notes the apostles frequently couple the Spirit with power (Greek- dunamis) in the New Testament. A quick search turned up these results:
- Luke 1:35 And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God.
- Luke 4:14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country.
- Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
- Acts 10:38 how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power. He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with him.
- Romans 1:4 and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord,
- Romans 15:13 May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.
- Romans 15:19 by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God—so that from Jerusalem and all the way around to Illyricum I have fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ;
- 1 Corinthians 2:4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
- Galatians 3:5 Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles [powers] among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith—
- Ephesians 3:16 that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being,
- 1 Thessalonians 1:5 because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.
- Hebrews 2:4 while God also bore witness by signs and wonders and various miracles [powers] and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will.
The Holy Spirit is a person of power. If you are lacking vigor and vitality in your spiritual life, you are not walking in the power of the Spirit’s fullness. Your failings demonstrate where you still walk in the flesh.